Mr. Yingling Helps Students Express Their Creativity

Mr. Yingling

Morgan Demchak

Mr. Yingling

Morgan Demchak, Staff Writer

Mr. Yingling is one of the English teachers here at the CAJSHS and has been teaching for six years. Mr. Yingling teaches English and Creative Writing for Senior High. Mr. Yingling inspires students to be creative, imaginative, and express their ideas to the class. Mr. Yingling answered some questions about teaching and the things he does around the school. He also offered some advice to students planning their futures.

Q. How long have you been teaching?

Mr. Yingling: “This is my 6th year teaching full-time with CASD, and previously I substitute taught here for about 3 years.”

Q. Where did you go to school to become a teacher?

Mr. Yingling: “I got my undergraduate degree from Bucknell University, but did not intend on becoming a teacher then.  I went back to Penn State University to attain my teaching certificate a few years later.”

Q. What made you want to be a teacher?

Mr. Yingling: “I went to college intending to become a lawyer, but upon graduating I decided to take a year off to work before entering law school.  During this year, I substitute taught and was a reading tutor in an after-school program.  I was in the school for over 10 hours a day.  I decided that if I could spend this much time in a school then I could possibly make a career out of teaching.  I decided to go back to school to become a teacher instead of a lawyer, and have been teaching English ever since.”

Q. What do you do in your free time?

Mr. Yingling: “In my free time I really enjoy running, going to the gym, golfing, playing guitar, listening to all types of music, and cooking.  I always say that if I wasn’t a teacher then I would pursue some sort of career in food/cooking.”

Q. What other responsibilities do you have at the school?

Mr. Yingling: “I am the adviser for the Debate Club (although most of the club graduated last year), I am a volunteer cross country coach, and I am also a mentor teacher for one of our new faculty members.”

Q. What’s your favorite thing about teaching and what is the most challenging?

Mr. Yingling: “My favorite thing about teaching is when a student tells me how much I helped them during their time in my class or at school.  I have had many students who have graduated tell me how much my class has helped them, and that they knew that I cared about them while they were here.  It is a great feeling to hear that, and makes me want to keep working hard for my current students. The most challenging part about teaching is when I care more about a student’s success in school and in life more than they do.  It becomes very difficult to instruct someone who doesn’t care about themselves.  Part of my job is to motivate this type of person. “

Q. What advice do you have for students as they plan for their futures?

Mr. Yingling: “It doesn’t matter if you choose to go to college, the military, technical school, or the workforce.  What does matter is that you are passionate about what you do, make good decisions, and work hard to improve yourself throughout every step of your life.  You can find success in any of these paths with hard work.”