The New Club at Clearfield Welcomes New Members

Nick Blowers, Staff writer

Here in the fourth edition of The Stampede we take a look at a new club, The National History Day Contest, advised by Mr. Tubbs.

“The National History Day Contest is a yearly contest for high school students that follows an over-arching theme; this year’s being Conflict and Compromise. Students then research an event in history that interests them and falls under the theme. They create a project out of 5 different categories and then travel and compete against other projects presented by students around the country,” said Mr.Tubbs.

If any of this seems of interest it’s not too late to sign up, he added, “Right now we are pretty relaxed because we are still exploring topics, but the research element is going to pick up soon.” Contact Mr. Tubbs ASAP if you’re interested.

The purpose of this club is “to develop student’s love of history, teach proper research skills, and to provide opportunities for students to be creative and succeed.” Mr. Tubbs explained that he wants the club to affect students’ lives. “I think it will be a club that students will remember.  The contest aspect of it is an interesting element that allows students to travel, compete, view other projects, and meet new people.  With all of that, I am confident to say that it will impact my students.”

Mr. Tubbs shared his vision for the club. “This is a great opportunity to network, meet new people, earn scholarships, and it looks great on a college application.” You can never go wrong with obtaining any of these. It is a great opportunity to develop writing skills and learn about history.