It Is Never Too Late to Start Your Future

Chasity Weber, Staff Writer

It is never too late to dual enroll and get a head start on your college experience. Applications to dual enroll are available now online. You can simply go to the Pennsylvania Highlands Community College website, www.pennhighlands.edu and get started now.

The year-long courses through Mount Aloysius College and the University of Pittsburgh are already closed. However, the semester courses through Pennsylvania Highlands Community College are open and ready for bright new minds to take on the challenges. These courses include: Sociology, History of Popular Music, Drawing and Painting, College Algebra, Public Speaking, Advanced Word Processing, and CAD.

The last day to dual enroll in any of these courses is February 9 and your payment must be received by February 23, 2018. Other than College Algebra any student within any of the classes available can dual enroll. For College Algebra, students must take a placement test, although students in Intermediate Algebra have probably already taken this test.

According to Dr. Spaid, who coordinates the program here at the high school: “Dual enrollment saves a tremendous amount of money for college. A class here – take Psychology for example – cosst $174 for 3 credits. At Penn State, the same class costs $2,100.” With enough dual enrollment credits when starting college, students could be considered a sophomores their freshman year. Not only would these students be able to enroll for classes earlier than other freshmen, they also are eligible for other advantages like having a car on campus and sophomore housing, explained Dr. Spaid.

Dr. Spaid is available anytime to help student or parents understand dual enrollment or help them dual enroll. She is happy to help anyone with questions, all parents have to do is call (814-765-5511) or email her at sspaid@clearfield.org. Students may stop by the guidance office anytime to talk. More details are also available online on the Guidance Office webpage.