Mrs. Bookhamer Is Teacher in the Spotlight

Mrs.+Bookhamer

Nick Blowers

Mrs. Bookhamer

Nick Blowers, Staff Writer

This edition features a teacher in the spotlight: Mrs. Bookhamer,  She is often referred to as a “favorite” teacher, a great person, and funny!

Asked why she thinks students consider her a “favorite” teacher, Mrs. Bookhamer said: “I try to make learning fun. I love Statistics and I love teaching it. I think that my students understand how cool I think numbers are and I want them to find it fun too. In addition, while learning is the point of coming to school, I try very hard to encourage each student to be the best person they can be. I care very much for them personally and I want to see them achieve their goals.”

Mrs. Bookhammer added, “Teaching Statistics has been one of the most difficult subjects I have ever had to teach. I did not take Statistics in college, so as soon as I learned that I was going to teach Statistics, I signed up for a class at Lock Haven. I struggled learning the material and so I understand when a student has frustration or struggles in my classroom. I think that makes me sympathetic to my students. I understand how challenging this class can be.”

Mrs. Bookhammer is a very understanding teacher; she makes you feel welcomed and able to talk to her.

What inspired Mrs. Bookhamer? She replied: “My mother, Bev Hogan, is the one I looked up to the most. She taught my sisters and me how important education is, especially to women. In her day, most women were stay at home moms who relied on their husbands to support them. She encouraged us all to further our education and make the most of our talents and gifts. When she was 56 years old, she went back to school to earn her Master’s in Nursing so she could teach nursing at the collegiate level. That inspired me. You are never be too old to go to school or to learn new things.”

She added, “I was 32 years old when I realized that I wanted to teach, so I went back to school and got my teaching degree. I was so excited and happy to get my teaching job with Clearfield Area School District. You are never too old to change careers.”

Where did she get all of her education from? She said: “I graduated from Slippery Rock Area High School. I then got my Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics from The King’s College in New York City. Then in 2008 I got Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction from Gannon University in Erie.” These are all reasons why she’s a great teacher, she received a great education.