National German Honor Society Inducts 13 at Ceremony

Thirteen+Clearfield+High+School+students+were+recently+inducted+into+Delta+Epsilon+Phi%2C+the+National+Honor+Society+for+German+Students.++Membership+requirements+include+an+%E2%80%9CA%E2%80%9D+in+German+after+at+least+three+semesters%2C+a+%E2%80%9CB%E2%80%9D+average+over-all%2C+and+a+clean+record+of+conduct+throughout+high+school.++Pictured+below+are+%28left+to+right%29++Kate+Barnes%2C+Austin+McDanel%2C+Ian+Heitsenrether%2C+Nick+Blake%2C+Alex+Owens%2C+Matt+Cowder%2C+++++Zoe+Poole%2C+Charles+Gardner%2C+Alexis+++Graham%2C+Logan+Sloppy%2C+Emily+Shipley%2C+Cade+Walker%2C+and+Avry+Grumblatt.+++Mrs.+Barbara+Simpson+is+the+German+teacher+who+organized+the+ceremony.++

Mrs. Wingate

Thirteen Clearfield High School students were recently inducted into Delta Epsilon Phi, the National Honor Society for German Students. Membership requirements include an “A” in German after at least three semesters, a “B” average over-all, and a clean record of conduct throughout high school. Pictured below are (left to right) Kate Barnes, Austin McDanel, Ian Heitsenrether, Nick Blake, Alex Owens, Matt Cowder, Zoe Poole, Charles Gardner, Alexis Graham, Logan Sloppy, Emily Shipley, Cade Walker, and Avry Grumblatt. Mrs. Barbara Simpson is the German teacher who organized the ceremony.

Chuck Gardner, Staff Writer

On Thursday, February 15, the National German Honor Society induction was held in the high school library. The new members of Delta Epsilon Phi are as follows: Kate Barns, Nick Blake, Matt Cowder, Chuck Gardner, Alexis Graham, Avry Grumblatt, Ian Heitsenrether, Austin McDanel, Alex Owens, Zoe Poole, Emily Shipley, Logan Sloppy, and Cade Walker.

Among the qualifications for being inducted into the National German Honor Society include, an A average for at least three semesters of taking German, a clean school record of conduct, and a B average in all other school subjects. Parents and grandparents were welcomed to join and watch their child/grandchild during the induction ceremony as they were each called up one by one to receive their certificate for a job well done, and shake Mr. Janocko’s hand. Afterwards, they all stood at the front of the room, and pledged their oath to Delta Epsilon Phi in unison.

Sophomore student Alex Owens was presented with the “Award of Excellence” for having the highest grade in German of all the new Delta Epsilon Phi inductees. He is pictured with Superintendent Terry Struble and Principal Tim Janocko.

Frau Simpson, advisor, stated: “I believe it is truly great for our students to have something that can bring them recognition for a job well done, and that they can take with them after graduation.” She also went on to say, “I encourage any students that I had in German 1 to take German 2 next year so that they may have the opportunity to be inducted into Delta Epsilon Phi.”

On another note, she mentioned one benefit that caught this reporter’s attention which is, at the end of the year, a student that took all four years of German offered in this school system carrying the highest GPA will receive a scholarship for college. The National German Honor Society is open to anyone with the willingness to take a foreign language, and has a variety of life lasting benefits after graduation.