Everything You Need To Know About Graduation And The Baccalaureate

Clearfield Area Junior Senior High School:  https://www.facebook.com/Clearfield-Area-High-School-204028612945052/

Clearfield Area Junior Senior High School: https://www.facebook.com/Clearfield-Area-High-School-204028612945052/

1526989607:2

2

Ryan Forcey, Staff Writer

Here at CAJSHS the students are the top priority. This is why the graduation ceremony and the baccalaureate ceremonies are held and are planned early. In the event that there is any confusion surrounding either ceremony, Mrs. Brady, coordinator of he graduation ceremony, and Mrs. Bookhamer, advisor to the Baccalaureate ceremony, have both been willing to answer questions about what is taking place.

According to Mrs. Brady, “Graduation will be held on Friday, June 1, 2018 at 7 p.m. here at the Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School.” Weather permitting, it will be held outside in the Bison Stadium, but if it begins to storm it will be held in the new gymnasium. For the date to be changed at all there would have to be some significant event or disaster.

For the senior class, practice will begin May 29 and run through May 31. Students should expect to be there all day.  Graduation itself will begin at 7 p.m. and parents should arrive by 6:45 for parking and seats.  If held outside, students should be able to invite whomever they want to attend, however if moved inside students will have 3 or 4 tickets to give out. If family is not able to attend then it will be live streamed.

According to Mrs. Brady, “There is actually quite a bit that happens in the ceremony.  Students will process out to begin the ceremony and Mr. Janocko will have welcoming remarks.  The Salutatorian and Valedictorian will then present their speeches.  Mrs. Prestash will be recognizing members of the senior class who have taken dual enrollment classes, those who have achieved Associate Degrees, those who have won scholarships, and those entering the military.  The President of the Senior Class will then give a speech prior to transferring the mantle to the Junior Class President who will then give a short speech. The passing of the mantle is a symbolic moment when the junior class becomes seniors and the seniors prepare to graduate. Mr. Janocko will then certify to the Board of School Directors (many of whom will be present) that the students have earned their diplomas.  The Superintendent of Schools and a member of the School Board will then present the diplomas to the graduates.  After all have received their diplomas, the class and those attending will join in singing the alma mater.  After a few more closing remarks by Mr. Janocko, the recessional will take the now graduates from the field or gymnasium and into their future!”

As of now, around 175 students are set to graduate.

As for the baccalaureate ceremony, Mrs. Bookhamer said: “The Baccalaureate service is a Christian-based, interdenominational ceremony celebrating the graduation of students. It includes prayers for the graduates, encouraging speeches from selected speakers and special music.  It is our way of celebrating our seniors’ graduation by asking God to bless our graduates.”

The baccalaureate is sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and will be held on May 31 at 6:30 p.m. in the CAJSHS auditorium. There is no practice for this event and the date and time will not be subject to change. Students are welcome and encouraged to bring their family and friends.