Boat Regatta 2018 Was a Match to Watch

Morgan Demchak, Staff Writer

The annual Physics Boat Regatta has come and gone as it was held on May 7 in the CAJSHS Natatorium. Students had been preparing for months to attempt to win the Boat Regatta. They had to plan their theme, build their boat out of the limited allowed material, and work together as a team to organize a way to make their visions a reality.

Before the actual Regatta events took place, teams and their captains partook in interviews and answered questions about the process of building, teamwork, and their plans to win. Senior Aaron Aycock conducted the interviews, and the students had time to prepare their answers in advance. After the interviews, students began to take their places to participate in the 4 events. For each event, students had 2 teammates in the boat and the rest cheering them on.

The first event was “Catch of the Day”. Students attempted to catch as many fish as possible in the 5-minute time limit. Fish had different point values depending on their size. For extra points before the Regatta, students made the fish that would be used and Mr. Barsody made the fishing rods. The second event was “Dodgeball Battleship” in which opposing teams try to sink your boat by knocking off four targets. The third event is, “Hot Potato” where students attempt to not get caught with the hot potato in their boat when the music stops. The final event for the 2018 Regatta was “Capture the Flag” where teams attempt to capture the flags of the opposing team or survive the round to earn points.

This year’s winners are “WWE Superstars” led by team captain Jace Kephart. The rest of the team consisted of Emmalee Marshall, Barrett Kline, Madison Jones, Jacyln Freeman, Remington Shugarts, Noah Johnson, Ryan Lazauskas, Eli Glass, Kyler Henry, and Logan Munshower. Captain Jace Kephart explains, “Our team had a lot of fun building the boat and participating in the Boat Regatta and we are all very impressed and happy that we managed to come out on top at the end.”