Mr. Mandell shares band experiences

Mr. Mandell.

Zoey M. Uncles

Mr. Mandell.

Zoey M. Uncles, Staff writer

Mr. Mandell, who started teaching music in 1986, is one of the few band teachers CAJSHS has. But he didn’t work here all his life. He started teaching in Philipsburg-Osceola Area High School where he was the Band and Choral director.

He really enjoyed the Clearfield Band and these were his words, “Clearfield has always had a very strong music program and I felt that it would be an honor to be a part of that legacy.”

Mr. Mandell really loves music. The people who got him into the music industry and inspired him were his mother and father. He is very well capable of playing several instruments. His favorite and primary instrument is the trumpet. He can also play the woodwind, brass and percussion instruments, and orchestral string instruments to a lesser degree, he said. Also, one if his favorite pieces to have the band play is the “Star Spangled Banner,” which is usually played at football games or important events.

One of the most exciting moments for him was when he found out that the Clearfield Band won 2nd place with a score of 94.0 in the NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade.

There were many times where he just didn’t want to do anything anymore and these are his words, “There were many moments when I thought about giving up, but I would think about the students and that keeps me going.” This absolutely shows that Mr. Mandell loves his students.

And for the students who plan on being a band teacher in the future, here are some of his advice for you: “You need to work hard, care about your students and love music.”

Mr. Mandell said the hardest part of being a band teacher is the constant justification of why it is important to teach music. In his opinion, “Being a teacher is not a job or career, but a vocation. Most days are filled with struggles, roadblocks and frustrations from many sources, but if you keep your eye on the end product (the successfully educated student), the reward is great!”