Why should you take anthropology class?

Kathryn Barnes, Staff Writer

As a student in high school, you are encouraged to take electives. Some students find it hard to pick what to take for their future school year and that’s okay. It’s also okay to explore different electives and take classes you probably wouldn’t expect to take. As a student at Clearfield, I’ve learned that many electives I’ve taken, I enjoyed quite a lot.  Anthropology was one of those electives.

Anthropology touches on many different subjects, such as philosophers, stars, galaxies, different religions, and evolution. Mr. Tubbs teaches this class, and he really gets his students thinking. After being in this class myself, I have thought about concepts that I wouldn’t have thought about before. I have also learned a lot that helps me with some of my other classes.

Anthropology also helps you with your writing, reading, and researching skills. Mr. Tubbs hands out interesting articles that make you think and consider how it connects to the world today. Not only are these articles interesting, but they help you understand things in our universe.

Also, he assigns a project called “Little Big History Project” This project helps the students think about the past and how it affected the future. For example, how horses have helped a lot with transportation and communication, which resulted in global change. For this project you are permitted to research your own topic. This allows you to engage yourself more in the class and to have fun. Anthropology is not an all science-based class. You also learn about different religions around the world and what they believe in.

You touch on many different concepts, and all students’ opinions are respected and listened to. I highly recommend taking Anthropology. There’s never a dull moment, and you are constantly thinking; even after the class is over.