Mr. Lytle’s classes are 3D printing away

Sydney Shaw, Staff Writer

Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School has access to technology that many schools in the surrounding area do not: a 3D printer. The 3D printer works by melting plastic from a spool, and layering it until the desired design, said Mr. Lytle, the instructor for classes using the 3D printer. Classes that have access to the 3D printer are Inventor I, Inventor II, and Fabrication Lab, stated Mr. Lytle.

Mr. Lytle explained the pros and cons to a 3D printer: “Technology is great when it works.  There are inevitable issues that come up with software compatibility and necessary maintenance that must be done to keep the machine functioning.  Occasionally the printing nozzle clogs and it is a very difficult and precise process to repair it that requires intensive time and special tools. When it works as designed, it can produce very precise parts that turn your ideas into reality.  A majority of the time, it is your imagination that is the limiting factor.  The machine is simply waiting to produce what your creativity and computer program skills can create.”

Also, there are limits to what can be created, such as the 11” x 11” x 11” printing space, as well as the 7” x 7” x 7” smaller printer, said Mr. Lytle. Also, the price of engineering these items is a bit hefty, such as the $150 cartridge to print, which should last a few months, explained Mr. Lytle.

The only limit to what you can create with a 3D printer is your imagination. Mr. Lytle illustrated that students created both fun and useful items for themselves and others: when fidget spinners were popular, there was an endless amount of designs being created, as well as cell phone cases. Mr. Lytle created a skull for Mr. Tubbs’ Anthropology class; also, the students created light covers for the gymnasium so the lights would not accidentally be shut off due to their sensitivity.