Boys’ basketball team embarks on another season

Boys basketball team embarks on another season

Erika Frye, Staff Writer

The Clearfield boys’ basketball team has 20 players on the JV/Varsity team for the 2018-2019 season, including seven returning letter winners. The letter winners are; seniors Taye Lynch, Keagan Hess, and Barrett Kline; juniors Cade Walker and Andrew Lopez; and sophomores Jake Lezzer and Karson Rumsky.

Mr. Nate Glunt is the head coach of the team, and his assistant coaches are Donnie Shimmel, Erik Brown, Pat Pallo, Seth Beardsley, and Jason Bowman.

According to Mr. Glunt, the players have been preparing for the season by attending workouts, playing at the Naval Academy Team Camp, and playing for local teams during the offseason.

Junior letter winner Cade Walker expressed that he feels the team is very well prepared for the season because they have been working extremely hard during the offseason. He also said that he is very excited about the upcoming season.

Walker described: “There are many great parts about playing for Clearfield. The community and student body do an amazing job supporting us and creating a nice atmosphere. Also, our team is very close. It feels like we are a family rather than just a team”.

Mr. Glunt explained that they do not discuss their goals for the year, and their focus is on improvement each time they step on the court. He added that his expectations as a coach are for the boys to play hard as a team and have fun.

When explaining any challenges the team must overcome this season, Mr. Glunt said that their league is very talented, and their opponents have a lot of experienced players returning.

He added: “Our team can’t wait to get the season started!  They love playing in front of the home crowd, especially the student section!  The student section does a fantastic job of creating a home court advantage for our team and their energy that they bring to the gym helps our players thrive when we play at home”.

The Bison Boys’ Basketball Team plays their first home game on Dec. 7 against Curwensville at 7:30 pm.