Teacher in the spotlight: Mr. Jacobs

Mr.+Jacobs+and+this+reporter.+%28He+insisted.%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher in the spotlight: Mr. Jacobs

Mr. Jacobs and this reporter. (He insisted.)

Madison Kipp, Staff Writer

Many would agree that a teacher in the spotlight should motivate, excite, and push kids to be their absolute best. The new edition of teacher in the spotlight is Mr. Jacobs, a school gym teacher.

Q: Who inspired you to be who you are today as a physical education teacher?
Mr. Jacobs: “When I was at Penn State taking a Life Guarding swimming class, I had a professor that asked if I would like to become a Life Guard Instructor. After taking that class with him and helping him teach, he advised me to become a Health and Physical Education teacher.”

Q: What made you become a teacher?
Mr. Jacobs: “I had several experiences that drew me to my career. The first one was teaching Life Guarding at Penn State. The second was my experience as a waterski instructor at a Summer Camp in the Poconos. I spent 3 summers teaching waterskiing and other outdoor water activities such as canoeing, camping, and swimming. The last was substitute teaching. I got a phone call to substitute teach in a kindergarten class room for 2 days. After having that experience with the younger group of students, I went back to school to get my Elementary Education degree.”

Q: Where did you get your physical education degree?
Mr. Jacobs: “Health and Physical Education at Pennsylvania State University, and Elementary Education at the University of Pittsburgh.”

Q: When did physical education motivate you?
Mr. Jacobs: “Physical Activity has motivated me and has kept me out of trouble most of my life. It provides me a healthy way to relieve stress, challenge me physically and mentally and keeps me healthy.”

Q: How do you help kids to eat healthy?
Mr. Jacobs: “As a Physical Education teacher you just provide them with the facts and hope they make the correct decision.”

Q: What are your favorite ways to teach and to motivate kids to stay healthy?
Mr. Jacobs: “I just like to provide them with the opportunity to try a variety of activities. It is then up to the individual to pick what they enjoy.”

Q: Is running your favorite thing to do? Why?
Mr. Jacobs: “Yes, I would pick running as my favorite activity because of its convenience. All I need is a pair of sneakers and I am ready to run anywhere anytime.”

Q: Has physical education always been a dream of yours? Why?
Mr. Jacobs: “No, I started out in Elementary Education as a kindergarten teacher for 3 years. Then I moved into a 5th grade classroom for 9 years before getting moved into Health and Physical Education. I have enjoyed all my experiences in teaching.”