New Year’s resolutions have been around for years; students share theirs’

The New Years Eve event in New York City. (eturbonews.com)

The New Year’s Eve event in New York City. (eturbonews.com)

Kathryn Barnes, Staff Writer

Happy New Year! For years, people have made promises to themselves or resolutions to start off the new year.

New Year’s resolutions have been around for thousands of years. It is believed the ancient Babylonians were the first people to take part in the tradition known today, although they celebrated the New Year differently than we do. For the ancient Babylonians, March was their new year, and they made promises to the Gods to pay back debts and return stolen items (History.com).

A similar practice took place in ancient Rome, where they changed the calendar so January 1 would be the beginning of the New Year. For the Romans, January was a symbol for an ancient god, Janus. Janus looked backwards into the past and forward into the future. Each year, the Romans would evaluate their past and make new promises for the future ahead (History.com).

Today, the practice carries on, but in a slightly different way. We focus more on improving ourselves in the year ahead, rather than promising to the gods. This tradition has become very popular and widely known among people all over the world.

Making resolutions is something we do to celebrate and to help us to look forward to the New Year and achieving our goals.

What are your New Year’s resolutions?

• Shelby Flanagan – “My New Year’s resolution is to be a better musician and keep my grades up throughout the rest of the school year.”
  • Kyra Mollura  – “To eat healthier, wake up earlier, spend more time with friends and family, and to be more positive and smile more.”
  • Chandler Wisor – “Do more with my life, to get out and explore more.”
  • Alexia Mick – “To be a better person.”
  • McLain Alt – “Save more money.”
  • Taylor Chelgren – “To wake up earlier and not make my friends late for school.”
  • Josie Grice – “Be more productive, apply myself more, and try harder.”
  • Elle Brink – “Talk to more people.”
  • Zane Inguagiato – “Go to states for track and field.”
  • Doyle Musselman – “To get under 1:10 for the 100 backstroke.”