A behind-the-scenes look at the CAJSHS production of Disney’s Tarzan

Tarzan finally takes the stage.

Katelynn Smith, Staff Writer

Everyone knows the joy and excitement of sitting in the audience on the edge of your seat staring in awe at the stage in front of you waiting to see what will happen to the characters next. But does everyone know how much time and effort is put into the making of these shows?

Although these are nowhere near Broadway level performances, the students at CAJSHS spend between one and a half and three hours practicing and preparing in the beginning. Closer to the show, they practice for almost four hours each night until it is time to perform the show.

Each student in the production works very hard to make their part the best it can possibly be. However, the students are not the only ones that are hard at work. Many adults volunteer to help out.

For this production of Tarzan, Kim Luzier, Jeannine Hanes, and Erica Hanes make, buy, and take care of the costumes and props for each student. Mrs. Kuntz, a CAJSHS art teacher, Kyle Kelly, director at Front and Centre community theatre, and Mr. Duttry, a CAJSHS physics teacher, helped build the set.

Justine Washic brings the gorillas to life with makeup. Sam Potter has choreographed all of the dances for all the songs you know and love from the original movie. Emmalee Marshall, a CAJSHS senior, is assistant director, and Mr. Switala, a CAJSHS music teacher, is the director.

However, many others have put time and effort into making the show possible by working lights, curtains, backstage needs, donating food and water, playing in the pit, being ushers, and doing hair and makeup.

Lighting Crew…………………………………………………………………………………………………………Sarah Catherman, Sarah Cutler, and Mackenziw Matthews

Sound Crew……………………………………………………………………………………………………………Emmalee Marshall and Beth Struble

Stage Ninjas…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..Sage Hoppe, Ava Lynch, Nicolette Maines, Mason Marshall, Emma Quick, Abby Simcox, and Jaycee Wood