What’s New This Year? Mr. Struble Shares What Students Can Expect

Chuck Gardner, Staff Writer

New things are always expected by the students at Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High, so for this 2017-2018 school year, this reporter interviewed Mr. Struble, superintendent, to get the in-depth details about what students can look forward to this year.

Q: What exactly is the role of a superintendent for those who don’t know?

Mr. Struble: “The superintendent is the ‘CEO’ of the school district. Responsibilities include overseeing the administration and staff in both schools and the central office administration, which includes transportation, food services, building and grounds, special education, and other items. The position is also responsible for carrying out the policies and directives of the School Board, all in an effort to provide a quality education and experience for our students.”

Q: What are some changes that students will notice at the Junior/Senior high school this year?

Mr. Struble: “After going through a number of changes the last several years, most things have remained the same this year. Teachers will be working on making greater use of Sapphire as a tool to get information to students and parents, and the continued development of curriculum. We also welcome three new teacher to the Jr/Sr HS this year. Mrs. Colna and Mr. Spence are in the special education department and Miss Boczar is in English.”

Q: What are your top three goals for the Junior/Senior high school this year?

Mr. Struble: “Continued student success in the areas of their interest. Safety for all members of the school community. That the students are here, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.”

Q: If you had a magic wand, and could change anything about this high school, what would it be? 

Mr. Struble: “That every student would find something to be involved in while in school.”

Q: What is a common challenge that you see students facing?

Mr. Struble:  “Life is tough. Whether it is a family crisis, an economic concern, or peer relations, there is always a challenge that our students are facing.”

Q: How do you think students benefit from attending a small high school like Clearfield Junior/Senior High?

Mr. Struble: “The smaller school community does allow for everyone to know the other people here. The teachers have a better opportunity to know the students. Concerns and problems are often more likely to be shared and hopefully resolved.”

Q: Is there anything else you would like our readers to know?

Mr. Struble: “There are not many high schools our size who offer as much to their students as we find at Clearfield. There are a lot of electives and opportunities to be involved. Last year we had students travel out of state to North Dakota, Illinois, Tennessee, Kentucky, Washington DC, New Jersey, and Florida. This doesn’t include all the travel in-state to the various competitions, challenges, and field trips. In addition over 50% of our juniors and seniors are earning college credits while here at school.”