Clearfield wrestling season kicks off

Varsity wrestlers at the Top Hat Tournament. Back Row: Brett Zattoni, Oliver Billotte, Jon Doran. Front Row: Karson Kline, Mark McGonigal, Evan Davis, and Hayden Kovalick.

Emily Hanes, Staff Writer

The Clearfield Area Junior Senior High School wrestling team started its season in the beginning of December 2019. This year the Seniors are Peyton Smay, Brett Zattoni, J.D. Graham, Jon Doron. The captains for the team are Mark McGonigal, Brett Zattoni, and Payton Smay.

In total there are 22 varsity wrestlers for the 2019-2020 wrestling season. With the start of the season the wrestlers are beginning to adjust to their weight class and fill this year’s lineup.

Coach Aveni said that his goal for this season is: “To win District 9 Championships.”

The first match of the season was December 6, 2019 in Bald Eagle. So far the season has started with a 2-2 dual meet record and had 10 finishers in the top hat tournament along with the top 5 finishers in the Tool City Tournament, with the best match at Huntington school.

Varsity Wrestler Matt Bailor said: “I am most looking forward to a winning season and all the wrestlers to have a great season.”

Find the 2019-2020 wrestling schedule here