Clearfield Bison Wrestling takes on Districts and Regionals 2020-21

Clearfield Bison Wrestlers at Districts 2020-21. From left: Luke Freeland, Nolan Barr, Karson Kline, Oliver Billotte, and Mark McGonigal

Emily Hanes, Staff Writer

The Clearfield Bison Wrestling team participated in District and Regionals for the 2020-21 season. Districts was held on Saturday February 20th at the Clearfield High School.  AAA wrestling was held in the Arthur J. Weiss Gym and AA was held in the Bison Gym. Any school with a wrestling team from District 9 AA or District 4/9 AAA were eligible to participate.

With competition from several different schools the Clearfield Wrestlers had six wrestlers move onto regionals. Evan Davis wrestling at 106 lbs., Luke Freeland wrestling at 138 lbs., Karson Kline wrestling at 145 lbs., Carter Chamberlain wrestling at 172lbs., Mark McGonigal wrestling at 215lbs, and Oliver Billotte wrestling at 285lbs.

Assistant Coach Sipes said:The criteria for advancement in this year’s post season was significantly different than in years past.  We are only allowed to have 8 wrestlers in any of the brackets so therefore there have been a restriction on the number of advancements.  Because of this some of the wrestlers that should have advanced, did not this year.  This year because of the pandemic we added a “Super-Regional” between regionals and states so that there would be a maximum of 8 wrestlers in each of the brackets.”

Regionals were held on Saturday, Feb. 27, at Altoona High School. Regionals had a combination of any high school in districts, 4, 6, 8, 9, or 10. Also, those who placed into the qualifying criteria in their respective districts were able to participate in the regional tournament. The Clearfield Bison had several successful wrestlers at regionals but one that will be moving on from regionals is Oliver Billotte.

This year, different from previous years, there were no spectators allowed at districts due to COVID-19. But, wrestlers were allowed to have two tickets to give to their families at regionals.  Assistant Coach Sipes said: “This year we really tried to focus on some small mental aspects that the coaching staff has seen a need for throughout the year.”