Swimmers compete at States

Front: Charlise McSkimming, Josie Narehood, Beth Struble, Emma Quick, and Danielle Cline. Back: Hunter Cline, Nick Vaow, Leif Hoffman, and Mason Marshall.

Lindsay Hartline, Staff Writer

This year, Clearfield Area Junior/Senior High School was able to send 10 swimmers to Cumberland Valley High School on March 19 to compete in States.

Those 10 swimmers included: Emma Quick doing the relay and 200 IM, Beth Struble doing the 400 free relay, Charlise McSkimming doing 400 free relay, Danielle Cline doing the 400 relay and 100 fly, Josie Naremhood doing the 500 free, Hunter Cline doing the medley relay, Leif Hoffman IM 500 free and 200-medley relay, Mason Marshall doing the 200-medley relay and 100 breaststroke, Nick Vaow doing the 200-medley relay, and Keegan MacDonald as Clearfield’s diver.

According to Coach Morrison, “This year, the only way to qualify for states was to place first in districts.” That being said,  Clearfield Area Junior/Senior High School had some of their very own athletes place pretty impressively at states. Coach Morrison would also like to report that, “Leif Hoffman placed 5th in 500 All State first team. Keegan MacDonald placed 7th diving All State first team. Boys medley relay placed 12th All-State second team, and Leif Hoffman placed 12th in 200 IM second team.”

Pennsylvania states is the highest competitive event for swimmers so to qualify and compete, as Coach Morrison informs, is “the ultimate goal.” Sadly, since there is not an event higher than states, going to and competing in states is the last time the swimmers will be able to perform together as a team.

Coach Morrison would like to remind anyone interested in swimming: “Advice for new, beginning competitive swimmers,… be patient, it takes time to learn the skill, hone those skills, and improve fitness to become race ready. This sport is a long journey, not a day trip, but it is totally worth the time and effort and the rewards of hard work are very satisfying.” However, she added, each individual swimmer is allowed to assert their own personal goals for swimming in order to gain the internal motivation needed to excel.

“Every swimmer at every level, novice, intermediate, or elite can reach success and achieve his/her goals, whatever they may be.  First place is not the only way to be victorious.  Many students swim for personal fitness and personal growth.  Everyone can improve their overall speed and set their own time goals.  Winning first is a goal for some, but not everyone.  There is something for everyone.  And you can swim for fitness for the rest of your life.  Once a swimmer, always a swimmer.  If anyone feels inspired, don’t hesitate to come see me at the pool.  I’ll get you started,” states Coach Morrison.