Helping Hands Club Incorporates Make a Difference Day into the Lives of Students

Morgan Demchak, Staff Writer

For the past ­­­­­five years, The Helping Hands Club, run by Mrs. Zimmerman, has done “Make a Difference Day” to encourage the students to be kind to others and to always try to make a difference in someone’s day.

This year, The Helping Hands Club handed out quotes to the homeroom teachers so they could distribute them to each individual student. They hung signs around the school, wrote inspirational messages on the sidewalks, and put quotes above the mirrors in the bathrooms.

Mrs. Zimmerman answered a few questions so that the student body would know more about Make a Difference day and how it effects the students.

Morgan Demchak
“That smile looks good on you”

Q. How many years have you been doing Make a Difference Day?

Mrs. Zimmerman: “5 years”

Q. How do you prepare for Make a Difference Day?

Mrs. Zimmerman: “The Helping Hands Club gathers ideas from our students during activity period on how we can make a difference in our school for one day.  As we have in the past, the students think it is nice to leave a note for every student in the school.  They also decided that posters and sidewalk chalk are good ways to plaster the school with positivity!”

Q. What is Make a Difference Day and what was the idea behind it?

Mrs. Zimmerman: “On October 28th, volunteers from across the U.S. unite for Make A Difference Day. It is one of the largest annual single-days of service nationwide. Since 1992, volunteers and communities have come together on Make A Difference Day with a single purpose: to improve the lives of others.”

Q. Do you think it has an impact on students?

Morgan Demchak
“You are beautiful”

Mrs. Zimmerman: “Yes – sometimes just a smile, kind word, or a little encouragement can make someone’s day.”

Q. What things do you hang around school for this day?

Mrs. Zimmerman: “Positive quotes, posters and happy reminders. This year, we will be giving each student a Make A Difference Day challenge to complete on that day.”

Morgan Demchak
“Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out” – Art Linkletter

Q. What else would you like to tell students about this day?

Mrs. Zimmerman: “Just to remember that kindness is free– and a little bit of kindness can make a big difference in our world.”