Characters of Clearfield: Nicky Hoppe Explains Her Job

Paraeducator, Nicky Hoppe.

Paraeducator, Nicky Hoppe.

Rylee C. Ogden, Staff Writer

Nicky Hoppe is one of the newest additions to the staff of Clearfield Area Jr./Sr. Highschool. Ms. Hoppe started working as a paraeducator in February of this year. When asked what encouraged her to accept this position, she explained, “Knowing that my skills and abilities would be put to good use to benefit and support a student with special needs.”

So, one might ask what a normal day looks like in this career. Hoppe explains, “It consists of accompanying my student through the school day. Keeping them focused on one task and assisting them with anything they may need to help maintain their independence. Implementing lessons in the Additional Support room. Providing the teacher with any support or assistance needed as well.”

Ms. Hoppe explained that she simply just enjoys the environment of her workplace, stating, “The students and staff have been very welcoming and supportive.” However, while this job has many benefits,   it comes with challenges as well. One challenge Hoppe faces is when her student is unable to communicate their feelings or needs. What motivates her through those obstacles is knowing that she is making a positive impact on her students with special needs.

Before this job, Nicky Hoppe held several different jobs primarily in childcare, as well as personal care assistance. In order to be in this career, she took specific training: “Several clearances and background checks must be passed. There is also a variety of training that must be done including things like CPR and Mandated Reporter.” She also added that there was a specific number of hours of training that needed to be completed before she could take a job. Her advice for anyone that wants to pursue a career in the field is, “If you are unsure of anything, ask someone. This job requires a supportive team that has the student’s best interests at heart. No single person has all the answers or can do everything themselves.”

She wanted to leave readers with a lasting thought: “I would like readers to know that students that need extra support are funny, kind, and intelligent, just like other kids their age. They just face a few more challenges. They want to feel acknowledged and accepted for who they are. So next time you see one of our students, say hello and ask how they are. You will brighten their day and maybe make a new friend in the process.”