Students selected to attend Women in Chemistry Day

Ellen Collins, at left, and Erika Frye attended Women in Chemistry Day at St. Francis University.

The Chemistry Department at Saint Francis University hosted a Women in Chemistry Day on Friday, November 9, 2018 in honor of National Chemistry Week.

The event was held in order for female students to exemplify the SFU motto “become that someone” by introducing them to chemists.  Female students from twenty-five area high schools engaged in learning opportunities focused on several branches of chemistry.  Ellen Collins and Erika Frye from Clearfield Area School District were nominated by their chemistry teacher, Mrs. Sarah Fye.  Ellen and Erika were selected by the Saint Francis Chemistry Faculty to participate in chemistry activities and informational sessions throughout the day.

Throughout the day, many students got to partake in chemistry presentations.  These presentations involved exciting hands-on chemistry activities with current chemistry students, campus and department tours, and discussions with recent graduates from the SFU chemistry department to discuss careers in academia, industry, and medicine. Keynote talks were presented by Katie Knorr, who works for the FBI in Quantico, VA.