Bison Boys Golf back in action

Returning golf letter winners; Luke Roach, Harrison Peacock

Justin Maines, Staff Writer

As the fall athletic season at Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School continues, the Bison Golf team is back in action. The team, coached by 12-year head coach Chad Gearhart, began its season on August 15 at Coudersport Golf Club in Coudersport, PA.

Golf is a sport like no other. Golfers build relationships not only with their own team, but with the athletes from other teams as well. Coach Gearhart recognizes this point, stating: “What I enjoy most is watching the lifetime friendships that you guys make throughout your time on the team. As the years go on, there is a connection that lasts with the team as well as other athletes from other schools and it continues into college years and beyond.”

With a young team, Coach Gearhart is looking forward to the future, saying: “This year I am most excited about seeing how the team progresses and how we will be strong for next year.”

The Bison Golf team consists of two freshmen: Ty Troxell and Eric Fletcher; two sophomores: Luke Roach and Matthew Bush; and three juniors: Justin Maines, Harrison Peacock, and Noah Jordan. The team will not be losing any experienced golfers next season.

When asked about his team’s performance so far, Coach Gearhart said, “This year’s performance has been improving. I am looking forward to see how many teams we can best by our last Mountain League match at Philipsburg.” Coach Gearhart also has strong goals for the remainder of the Bison Golf season: “I would always like the team to improve as the year goes on. Also, I would like to see one of our guys get through to regionals.”

Although the golf team is young and promising, Coach Gearhart is still facing one key challenge this season. When asked about this challenge, Coach Gearhart stated, “The biggest challenge this year is having over half of the team being left-handed. I have to catch myself on how I say instructions.” With Coach Gearhart playing right-handed, it is particularly challenging for him to give instructions to the left-handed players.

When asked if Coach Gearhart wanted to share anything else with the readers, he stated, “Golf is a life-long sport. It teaches us discipline and creates life-long friendships.”