Dig for a Cure set Oct. 22

Dig for a Cure set Oct. 22

Trevor Franek, Staff Writer

The volleyball team’s “Dig for a Cure” is one of the biggest events of the season in terms of both importance and popularity. The event is a highly competitive match against another school in which the goal is to raise money for a cure against cancer and has been an annual success as long as the program has existed. The director of the event, Mrs. Danver, is making great changes to the event to make it bigger and better every year.  

The event is currently scheduled for October 22 at 6:00 p.m. against Curwensville, with the goal of $2,000 to be raised. Entry will be $3 for adults and $2 for students. Mrs. Danver adds that the event will be having a lottery tree, selling baked goods, “Dig for a Cure” shirts, and volleyball and pink gear, and hosting some games for those in attendance to make the event a huge success and smash that goal of $2000.  

To make this event even better than past years Mrs. Danver has made some changes. “The game is against Curwensville, which we hope will draw a larger crowd. Since this is something we plan to continue to do in the future, we are working on getting some ‘pink’ gear for our players to wear during the game. In addition, we would like to implement a serving competition between the 2nd and 3rd set of the varsity game,” commented Mrs. Danver.

Mrs. Danver says that the team is taking the time to decorate the gym, paint signs, wear pink, and encourage as many people as possible to attend all in preparation for this event. She adds on saying, “There are no restrictions on the student section, other than they must demonstrate good sportsmanship.”  

Mrs. Danver leaves us with these words about the event, “This is an event the volleyball players always look forward to, as they enjoy the large crowd and preparing for the game. I think it’s important for our girls to organize such a great cause. I know deep down, they really feel great about the money raised for the event.”