Peter and the Starcatcher will take the stage

Katelynn Smith, Staff Writer

The Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School will present Peter and the Starcatcher.

Mr. Switala, director, describes Peter and the Starcatcher as a humorous and fantastical backstory for the beloved character of Peter Pan and his arch-nemesis Captain Hook. In this wickedly imaginative play, we meet a poor orphaned child on the high seas simply called Boy (played by Remington Shugarts) because, in the absence of a mother and a father, he was never given a name. His sad and lonely world is turned upside down when he meets Molly (played by Taylor Trinidad), the daughter of the famous Starcatcher Lord Aster (played by Mason Yocum).

Our heroine is on a mission to save the world and protect a treasure trunk filled with magic “star stuff” from getting into the hands of the evil and greedy pirate Black Stache (played by Jace Kephart). As they travel aboard the Neverland ship headed for a faraway land, Molly and Boy learn about love and friendship and forge an unbreakable bond.

“Peter and the Starcatcher won the Tony Award for Best Play in 2012.  As soon as it became available for licensing, I knew that it would be a good fit for our drama program at Clearfield.  It provides a lot of opportunity for stage time as well as for creativity for the actors.  The story line is intriguing as it provides a back story to the Peter Pan tale,” says Mr. Switala.

“The best part about theatre is seeing individuals come out of their shells and become something new on stage.  Theatre provides an avenue for creativity and an escape from reality, even if just for a little while.  I am hopeful that we continue to gain new students to participate in drama to experience the impact the theatre arts can have on a person,” says Mr. Switala.

Mr. Switala goes on to say, “I am super proud of all of our drama family and can’t wait to start working on Peter and the Starcatcher with them.”

Peter and the Starcatcher will appear onstage at Clearfield High School November 8, 9, 10 at 7:00 p.m.

Cast list:

Lord Leonard Aster…………………………………………………………………Mason Yocum

Molly………………………………………………………………………………Taylor Trinidad

Boy/Peter………………………………………………………………………Remington Shugarts

Prentiss…………………………………………………………………………………Cruz Wright

Ted……………………………………………………………………………………Ben Leighow

Captain Robert Falcon Scott……………………………………………………….Katelynn Smith

Smee……………………………………………………………………………..Herschel Johnson

Balckstache……………………………………………………………………………Jace Kephart

Alf……………………………………………………………………………………Eric Conaway

Fighting Prawn…………………………………………………………………….Devan DeSantis

Bill Slank…………………………………………………………………………….ELise DuFour

Mrs. Bumbrake…………………………………………………………………Emmalee Marshall

Grempkin………………………………………………………………………….Austin McDanel

Mack………………………………………………………………………………Stacey Houchins

Sanchez……………………………………………………………………………Jonathan McGee

Hawking Clam………………………………………………………………………Lennon Miller

Teacher……………………………………………………………………………Lauren Sattesahn

Ensemble……………………………………….Kayliann Bryan, Shelby Flanagan, Ally Hertlein, Taylor Humenay, Jeri Mallon, Jordan Mallon, Carrie McCracken, Isaac Owens, Phillip Peters, Makeeli Redden, Lily Rosinski, Anna Rowles, Lindsay Shaw, Madisyn Thompson, Ethan Yarger