Student Council is looking for new members

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mackenzie A. Matthews, Staff Writer

Behind every dance or event is a face or group of people planning and organizing. At Clearfield High, one of those groups is Student Council, and it is in need of members.

“Student Council is the place for students to volunteer their time within the school. It is a place to make our school fun and where all the school activities are planned and executed. There are also Leadership Seminar opportunities,” President Thad Butler explains. The events that occur at Clearfield High that you might not have known Student Council organizes are the dances. Thad clarifies: “Throughout the year, we sponsor Homecoming, Senior Night, and Queen of Hearts. We also host the dances after the football games on those nights.” Currently, we only have a Senior High Student Council, open to grades 9-12, but “Junior High might want to think about finding someone to advise a Junior High version.”

What exactly does the Student Council do? What responsibilities would I have? With any club or organization, comes responsibility, but Thad explains: “there are minimal responsibilities for student council, but a lot to do. They include showing up to the meetings, volunteering, showing up to what you signed up for, and selling items when we have fundraisers to put back into the school.

“You also do not have to sign your life away and drop all other clubs if you would want to join this Council. Their meetings are not overwhelming. “Student Council meets often during the first few months of school, and then it slows down, and starts again during the end of winter. We meet a lot in the beginning of the year to prepare for Homecoming and Senior Night, then we slow down to give the instructor time to meet with her other club (Key Club). Then start up again in the winter for Queen of Hearts. We meet if we need a meeting.”

Meetings, dances to organize, and funds to raise, this may seem like a lot of work. So why should you join Student Council? Thad answers with “Students should join Student Council because it gives students the chance to be seen within the school. It looks good on a Resume or Transcript. We are in need of students to help with school events.” If you are curious or want to join, “Students can find more about student council by contacting the advisor Mrs. Borden by emailing her at tborden@clearfield.org. Students can also contact the President Thad Butler at 19butlert@clearfield.org.”

Finally, when asked if there was anything else the President wanted to share with our readers, he responded with: “For the readers, please join student council, we are in need of members, the only requirement to join is to get a petition signed and filled out. It is very easy and has great opportunities. We hope to see you signed up and helping next school year, or join anytime this year.”

Mackenzie A. Matthews, Staff Writer

I am currently a senior at CAJSHS. My interests include reading, writing, doing theater technology for our school's drama productions, and playing Euphonium...

• Student Council is looking for new members

News

CHS Bison Band and Choir plan annual trip

News

Band front tryouts coming soon

News

Queen of Hearts Dance brings a good time

News

Band front twirls into a new season

News

Families kick off the holidays with Breakfast with Santa

News

Tarzan swings onto the Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School stage

News

Mrs. Borden’s 6th period wins food drive contest

News

Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School holds annual Christmas concert

News

Eighth grader places first in VFW essay contest

News

9th Graders learn more about Clearfield on annual downtown trip

The Student News Site of Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School