Spanish Honor Society inductions take place

Mrs. Wingate

Pictured above are the inductees to the Spanish Honor Society

Parker E. Marshall, Staff Writer

Spanish Honor Society, or SHS, is an organization full of Spanish II or higher students that have shown excellence in their Spanish classes leading up to the end of the second nine weeks of Spanish II.

In order to be inducted into the Atacama Chapter of the Spanish Honor Society, one must attain an average grade of a 93% or higher throughout Spanish I and the first half of Spanish II to meet the requirements to be inducted.

The Atacama Chapter sponsors are Mrs. Wittie and Mr. Poleto. The current officers are Ryan Lazauskas, President, Ellen Collins, Vice President, Emmalee Marshall, Senior Secretary, Erika Frye, Junior Secretary, Alexandra Shultz, Treasurer, and Cruz Wright, Planning and Public Relations.

This year, the SHS inductions took place on February 26, 2019 in the Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School library during first period. At this year’s induction ceremony, there were 24 members who were inducted. These inductees were Haden Allison, Jacquelyn Ammerman, Nathan Barr, Karli Bietz, Ian Billotte, Courtney Buck, Morgan Cheeck, Lauren Coleman, Elise DuFour, Nicolas Domico, Allyson Gaines, Emily Hanes, Kendyhl Luzier, Christina McGinnis, Ethan Michael, Seth Miller, Joscelyn Narehood, Isabelle Passmore, Paige Rhine, Karson Rumsky, Nicholas Ryan, Sydney Salvatore-Trinidad, and Emily Shipley.

Each year, the SHS takes a trip to the elementary school to introduce the students to some of the Spanish language in order to get them interested in taking the language throughout high school. With introducing the language at a young age, it will make the students want to take it in high school and even continue to take it in college to further their education in this language.