SRAC art show displays high school talent

Gant Daily

Pictured is some of the art that was entered into the contest this year.

Parker E. Marshall, Staff Writer

Everyone loves to be involved in any type of contest, especially when they win and can show off their talents. On March 23, the Susquehanna River Arts Council began an art show that displayed the art works of local students. The art was displayed at the SRAC office downtown beside the Ritz Theater on Market Street.

The art show ran from March 23 to May 9 with a concluding ceremony, but there is still some art down at the SRAC office. In order to compete in this contest, the participant must be a student in Clearfield County, which includes Clearfield, Curwensville, and Philipsburg. This year, from Clearfield High School, there were over 80 submissions. There are cash prizes this year for all winners.

When asked about the history behind the art show, Mrs. Adams, the Clearfield High School art teacher, states: “The Susquehanna River Art Council began sponsoring a Clearfield High School juried (judged) art show about 8 years ago.  Last year, we expanded the show to include any school within the county.  This year, students from P-O, Clearfield and Curwensville all took part.”

This year, there were over 22 award winners with the cash prizes amounting to $565. For the 2D art, Riley Smith, a sophomore from Clearfield High School, won $60 by placing first.

There are different, unbiased judges each year. Mr. Steve Hindman, a local artist, was the judge this year.

Sadly, there were less submissions this year compared to other years. Participating in the arts is an important part of expressing your individuality. If you are a high school student in any of the schools listed above, please participate in the next art show next year. Besides, who does not like to compete in contests and win cash prizes?