Baccalaureate and graduation ceremonies approach

(https://www.geographics.com/class-of-2019-graduation-clip-art-2/tID1291/?osCsid=3hoc9q12gh6jb6l1kdu0i92fp6)

Erika Frye, Staff Writer

With the end of the school year just around the corner, seniors are being celebrated and commemorating their high school careers. Thus, ceremonies such as graduation and Baccalaureate are coming up.

The Baccalaureate is sponsored by Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The club’s advisor, Mrs. Bookhamer, shared details about the upcoming event.

According to Mrs. Bookhamer, a Baccalaureate is a religious celebration of graduation. She adds that it includes: music, prayers, scripture reading, speeches by the students, and a sermon by a clergy congratulating the seniors.

The guest speaker at this year’s Baccalaureate is Father Brandon Kleckner from St. Francis Assisi Roman Catholic Church, and all graduating seniors and their families are invited to attend, Mrs. Bookhamer elaborates.

The Baccalaureate will be Thursday, May 30, at 6:30 p.m. at the Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School auditorium.

Not long after the Baccalaureate, students at Clearfield will be receiving their high school diplomas and beginning the next stages of their lives at graduation. This year’s graduation ceremony will be held on Wednesday, June 5 at 7 p.m..

As of right now, there are 155 members of the class of 2019 set to graduate this year, according to Mrs. Brady, who has organized this year’s ceremony. She added that it will be held at the Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School either in the Bison Gym or at the stadium, depending on the weather.

Mrs. Brady explained that the Valedictorian, the Salutatorian, the senior class president, junior class president, Mr. Janocko, and Mrs. Prestash will be speaking at the ceremony.

She elaborated: “Graduation is a very special time for the graduates and for their proud families.  This ceremony celebrates the completion of thirteen years of work and celebrates the many accomplishments of the Class of 2019.  During the ceremony, several groups of students will be recognized: those who have completed associate degrees through dual enrollment, those who are planning on going to the military, and those who have been awarded scholarships.”

Mrs. Brady also expressed that if the ceremony is indoors, admission to the Bison gym will be by ticket only. Each graduate will receive 4 tickets. Those attending without a ticket will be seated in the auditorium. The ceremony will also be live streamed from the district’s website.