New Teachers Start the Year at CAJSHS

Morgan Demchak, Staff Writer

This year at Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School, students have three new additions to the faculty. An English teacher for grades 9-12, Ms. Boczar, a learning support teacher for grades 9-12, Mr. Spence, and an English teacher for grades 7 and 8, Mrs. Colna. They answered a few questions so the student body could learn more about them, and they could express some things about themselves.

Mr. Spence

Morgan Demchak
Mr. Spence

Q. How long have you been teaching?

Mr. Spence: “This is my 1st year at Clearfield Area Junior Senior High School. I previously worked at New Story in Clearfield for half a year.”

Q. Why did you decide to become a teacher?

Mr. Spence: “I wanted to become a teacher because a lot of my role models growing up were and still are teachers. They have had a great impact on my life and now I hope to do the same for my students.”

Q. What subject(s) do you teach?

Mr. Spence: “I teach Learning Support English classes, grades 9-12.”

Q. Where did you get your teaching degree from?

Mr. Spence: “Clarion University for my undergraduate degree in Secondary Education Social Studies.  I completed my Master’s degree in Secondary Special Education through Slippery Rock University.”

Q. What has been your favorite thing about teaching at Clearfield so far?

Mr. Spence: “My students are great and the support I have received from staff has been very helpful in my first year of teaching!”

Q. Are you from Clearfield? If not, what brought you here?

Mr. Spence: “I’m from Brookville, PA. My fiancé is from Clearfield and we both teach at Clearfield!”

Q. Is there anything else that you would like to tell your students about yourself?

Mr. Spence: “I have a 9-week-old golden doodle puppy and her name is Jordy.”

Ms. Boczar

Morgan Demchak
Ms. Boczar

Q. How long have you been teaching?

Ms. Boczar: “I have been a substitute teacher for 2 years, but this is the first year I have my own classroom.”

Ms. Boczar: “After finishing my Bachelor’s degree, I started coaching cross country and track and field at Ligonier Valley High School. I realized how much I enjoyed working with students and athletes and that is when I decided to go back to school to get my Teaching Certification. I truly believe that teaching is one of the most important jobs there is, and I am proud and honored to be here.”

Q. What subject(s) do you teach?

Ms. Boczar: “I teach English I, English Lit/Sem II, English III, and English IV.”

Ms. Boczar: “I graduated in May 2017 from California University of Pennsylvania with my Master of Arts in Teaching and my certifications to teach Secondary Social Studies and English. Before attending Cal, I earned my Bachelor of Arts in History from the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg.”

Ms. Boczar: “My favorite thing about teaching in this school district is the support and positive attitudes of my department, other teachers, and the administration. Being a first-year teacher with four preps is overwhelming, but I am confident this year will run smoothly because of the support system I have here at CAJSHS.”

Ms. Boczar: “Ligonier, PA is my hometown. This employment opportunity brought me to Clearfield.”

Mrs. Colna

Morgan Demchak
Mrs. Colna

Q. How long have you been teaching? 

Mrs. Colna: “10 years.”

Q. Why did you decide to become a teacher

Mrs. Colna: “I knew that I wanted to become a teacher when I was in elementary school (probably around 3rd grade). I’ve always loved learning and most of that comes from the great teachers that I’ve had in my life. One of them is actually the father of a teacher here at the high school! Mr. Chelednik’s dad was my Chem I and Chem II teacher when I was a student at Brockway Area High School. I also enjoy helping others and trying to find ways to make learning easier and more meaningful.”

Q. What subject(s) do you teach? 

Mrs. Colna: “I currently teach English 8/Read 180, English 7/Read 180, and I co-teach Pre-Algebra with Miss Inman.”

Mrs. Colna: “My undergraduate degree in Education is from Franciscan University, and my graduate degree in Curriculum and Instruction is from Clarion University.”

Q.What has been your favorite thing about teaching at Clearfield so far? 

Mrs. Colna: “My favorite thing about teaching at Clearfield is that I get to be a part of my community. I also love the staff and students. Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming!”

Mrs. Colna: “I grew up in Brockway and didn’t move to Clearfield until after I graduated from college and got my first teaching job at the Central Pennsylvania Autism Spectrum Disorder Academy (now called Soaring Heights School) here in Clearfield. I have lived in Clearfield since 2007.”

Q. Is there anything else that you would like to tell your students about yourself?

Mrs. Colna: “My daughter is Allison, the elementary school student who is currently in treatment for leukemia, so if you see me wearing an All in for Allison bracelet that is why! It means so much to me that I get to work in such a supportive school district.