English Department collecting food for local families in need

Source – pinterest.com

Amanda McCracken, Staff Writer

Beginning November 16, the high school English Department will be sponsoring a food collection to benefit the Clearfield Salvation Army and local families in need. The collection will go on until December 11.
.
Regarding the goal for this year’s collection, Mrs. Moyer states the goal is “to collect as much non-perishable food as possible to benefit local families in need.” Mrs. Moyer also gave some insight on what food the Salvation Army is looking for: which includes ramen noodles, soups, canned pasta, canned meats, and noodles in sauce packets. Also, snack items and condiments are needed. Items are also needed for holiday food baskets. These include stuffing mix, instant potatoes, gravy,  scalloped potatoes, canned corn and green beans, macaroni and cheese with pre-made sauce packets, cornbread mix, biscuit baking mix (Bisquick), and cranberry sauce.

However, there are some items to avoid donating like rice, beans, cereals, cookie and cake mixes, and macaroni and cheese with powdered sauce since these require other ingredients to make that families may not have available. Prepared, heat and eat options are best, according to Mrs. Moyer.

The drive is open to grades seven through 12 and the drop- off location is during English classes. The class period that collects the most amount will win a pizza party. Faculty and staff are also encouraged to donate, and those donation locations will be n the second and third floor lunchrooms. This is a great opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to help families in our community that are in need, while also competing for an awesome prize.