A Senior Night to Remember

Mandi Billotte

Clearfield Student Section

Isaac Samsel, Staff Writer

On February 9th, the Clearfield Bison basketball team held their senior night in the Bison Gymnasium at the Clearfield Area Junior/ Senior High School. This night was highlighted on the schedule since the beginning of the season for every senior, as this would be one of their last guaranteed home games in front of the Clearfield atmosphere. Although, leading up to this night there was something even more special about one specific name.

Entering the chilly night of February, Cole Miller, the four-year starter, was just six points shy of breaking the school’s all-time scoring record. This record was previously held by Will Myers and was set in 2016. Because of this, there was a lot of anticipation heading into this already special senior night.

After a rough first quarter, in which Miller only totaled four points, the Bison seemed startled all around. It was obvious the team was attempting to allow Cole to take every shot possible. Admittedly, Miller stated, “I definitely felt a lot of pressure. Just hearing everyone talk about it all day, along with the huge crowd made me pretty anxious.” The crowd that night would be enough to make anyone nervous. As the minutes crept to the opening tip, the seats kept filling up. People from all around the town of Clearfield came to see Miller break the record, including previous record holder, Will Myers.

A few minutes into the second quarter Miller drove into the paint, and with a swift jump shot, he had sunk his sixth point and broke the record. “I was very relieved. I felt I could just focus on playing the game I love, and go out and play basketball with my friends,” Miller expressed. The game was stopped, and Miller shared an emotional moment with his father after acknowledging the fans and taking in the moment; “My dad has been there every step of the way. From my first basket in 2nd grade, to the shot that got me the record. My dad has always believed in me when no one else did. I can never thank him enough for his support.”

The game continued and the Battlin’ Bison came fast once they hit a stride. They ended up winning against the DCC Cardinals, and Miller ended the night with over 20 points and a total of 1,455 career points.