Clearfield High School Diving Team Competes at IUP Invitational

From left, Chuck Gardner, Cody Shaw, Samuel Pennington

Bob Mikesell

Chuck Gardner, Staff Writer

The Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School Diving Team is a team that branches from the swim team. The sport itself is a very involved process of technique and physical ability. There are currently five students who are involved in the sport, including: Sam Pennington, Cody Shaw, and this reporter for the boys diving. The girls diving the team includes Alexis Shomo and Jocelyn Grice.

On Saturday, Feb. 10, the Clearfield Swimming and Diving team attended the annual Mark Hess Invitational Swim Meet at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Coach Bob Mikesell truly showed his skills as a coach by the astounding results that each diver achieved during the meet. Cody Shaw obtained 1st place, this reporter got 2nd place, and Sam Pennington got 3rd place for the boys diving. For the girls diving, Alexis Shomo got 1st place, and Jocelyn Grice got 2nd place. Those results show how solid the Clearfield Diving Team is, and how they all work very hard to achieve what they have for the 2017-18 school year.

Bob Mikesell
From left, Jocelyn Grice, and Alexis Shomo

When asked how he felt about this year’s diving team and its accomplishments Coach Mikesell stated, “I feel like this is a very good year for skill building and growth, especially for next year’s season. I have worked with all my divers for the last few years and encourage them to try their best and to go beyond their comfort level every day at practice, so that when they step on that diving board, they are prepared and confident that they can succeed.”

While at the Mark Hess Invitational Swim Meet, the divers competed against divers from Indiana, Pennsylvania. Sadly, the season for both Swimming and Diving at Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High is essentially over. The only events that will be taking place is the District Meet at Saint Marys on Saturday, March 2. After that, those who qualify for competing at states will compete at the Kinney Natatorium at Bucknell University in Lewisburg on Tuesday, March 13 2018.