A junior’s guide to public speaking

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Composition book template. Traditional school notebook vector illustration.

Kimberly Wilsoncroft, Staff Writer

With the second semester of the school year starting, a wave of panic has been spreading across the junior class; public speaking. A quick google search will tell you that public speaking is within the top 10 fears in the world, and this spring the junior class will be facing it head on. To begin, why is public speaking so terrifying? Well, many say that the spotlight when public speaking is a big factor. With all eyes in the room paying attention to you, all ears listening to your voice, it can be hard to not get a little bit nervous.

However, there are ways to combat the anxiety of public speaking, and a few tricks that will help get you through the semester. Eleventh grade English Comp/Public Speaking teacher, Mrs. Borden, had a few words of advice for the students preparing to face their fear. When asking Mrs. Borden what she hopes students to gain from the course, she stated that she hoped they gained confidence and eloquent speaking skills. She also added that she loved seeing how students grow throughout the course.

In response to asking how students can prepare for public speaking, Mrs. Borden highly recommended taking English 10 Pre- AP. The course is strongly related to the content learned in Pre-AP, and it would give a solid background when coming into English Comp/Public Speaking. So, if you are currently not a junior, and are thinking about enrolling in public speaking next year, do it; but also take English 10 Pre-AP first.

Lastly, I asked Mrs. Borden if she had any tips for the current juniors. Do not forget to just relax and have confidence in yourself, she adds.

In addition to the helpful words of Mrs. Borden, current senior and past public speaking student, Chloe Brower, had some advice to offer. I asked her what her favorite and least favorite public speaking experiences were, as well as any advice she had to offer. Being able to listen to others speak and see all the hard work they had done was Chloe’s favorite part of public speaking.

I think it is important to remember this when going into public speaking, because it is a reminder that all students are in the same boat, and every single other student in the room is just as nervous as you are. It is important to remember to support, listen, and bring each other up during classes that can be difficult.

On the other hand, she said her least favorite part was trying to write a well-written speech that would flow when read aloud and fit within the time frames. Overall, for Chloe, this was one of the most difficult parts.

My last question to Chloe was if she had any advice and tips for the juniors who are beginning to start public speaking this spring. Chloe’s main tip was to not procrastinate. Though it may be hard, getting in this habit of not procrastinating can result in a successful course. A successful, fulfilling experience when working through a difficult class all depends on your attitude and outlook.