2018-19 Clearfield Bison athletics year in review

Pictured above is the 2019 state team at the PIAA State Meet.

Justin Maines, Staff Writer

As the 2018-19 school year comes to an end at the Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School, the Bison athletics begin to wind down until next fall. Every athletic team throughout the three different seasons strongly represented Clearfield, so here is a final recap of the all varsity teams from the 2018-19 school year.

Starting in the fall sports season, the Bison golf team finished with a 4-24 record, placing seventh in the Mountain League. The team looks for improvement this year, as all the golfers will be returning next season. The Lady Bison golf team enjoyed an 8-4 record and second place finish in the Mountain League, and they are looking to rebuild after the loss of seniors Josie Grice and Riley Paul-Cook.

Moving to women’s volleyball, the Lady Bison went 0-18 in their 2018 season, but have a lot of experience returning next year.

With soccer, the men’s team went 6-7 in the Mountain League, and they enjoyed success in District IX competition, making it to the semi-finals. The women’s team finished with a 10-7-1 record and also made it to the District IX semi-final.

For women’s tennis, the team wrapped up their season with a 3-9 record and return a solid group of experienced sophomores.

The boys and girls cross country teams had great seasons, finishing 5-1 and 4-2 in the Mountain League respectively. Additionally, both teams got third in the District IX class.

Wrapping up the fall sports, the football team finished their regular season with a perfect 10-0 record, and they picked up the District VI/IX Class 4A Regional Championship win over Bellefonte. In the first round of the state playoff, they put up a battle against defending state champions Cathedral Prep but ended up losing a 55-21 contest.

Transitioning into the winter sports at Clearfield, the Bocce Ball team enjoyed another successful season, taking home the championship with wins over Mo Valley and Curwensville.

The Lady Bison swim team enjoyed continued success, only losing to DuBois in the regular season and winning the District IX championship along the way. The Bison swim team continued to add to their great success, picking up their sixth straight undefeated season and their seventh straight District IX title. Junior Luke Mikesell led the pack with a state championship and new state record in the 200 Yard Freestyle.

In basketball, the Lady Bison team finished their season with a 7-14 record with senior Alayna Ryan breaking the career one-thousand-point plateau. The Bison basketball finished with a 13-11 record on their way to their fifth straight District IX championship.

The wrestling team finished with a 10-7 record, also winning their District IX championship and sending one wrestler, Mark McGonigal, to the state meet. The winter season was a successful one for Clearfield, bringing home five championships in bocce ball, swimming, basketball, and wrestling.

The final sport season takes place in the spring at Clearfield. Starting with men’s tennis, the team went 3-1 in the Mountain League, being crowned co-Mountain League champions.

Transitioning into track, the men’s team went 7-0 in the Mountain, winning the Mountain League championship and finishing second in the District IX championship.

The women’s team went 2-5 in the Mountain League and finished fifth in the District IX championship.

Softball is still in the midst of its postseason, wrapping up the regular season 10-9. With a win over Brookville in the first round of the District IX playoff, the Lady Bison carry on to the championship game. The baseball team is also still in season, playing their first round of the District IX on Friday, May 24 at Showers Field in DuBois, PA. Their regular season ended with an 11-9 record, and they look to beat the St. Marys team that won the District IX championship next year.

All in all, the Clearfield Bison and Lady Bison sports teams have continued to represent our school in a great way. With many district championships won, and success at the state level across the board, the 2018-19 Clearfield sports teams have continued to build the excellent tradition of Clearfield athletics.