Improving performance levels a goal for competition team

The junior competition team performs Heaven I Know at Headliners dance competition.

Jac Ammerman, Staff Writer

The Dance Company is a dance studio in Clearfield, Pa., that offers ballet, tap, jazz, jumps, leaps and turns, and a competition team. The studio has been run by Dana Timko for 20 years.
This year’s competition team consists of dancers ages 7-18. Dana’s main focus for the 2019-2020 competition teams is for them to improve their performance levels and increase technique.

When Dana was asked what she was most excited for, she replied, “I am most excited about having a production number this year with all ages of students.”

Additionally, Elizabeth Ryan, an assistant teacher and teen dancer on the competition team, said that she was most excited to show off our new dances and learn from different teachers. She is always looking to improve in her dances.

This year’s competition team made many improvements in skill level, such as pirouettes and jumps.
Dana’s expectations for this year’s competition team include improving in their convention classes by picking up choreography quicker from guest teachers.

When Dana was asked how she felt about the new choreography and dances this year, she said she was very excited about all the different styles of dance that will be performed. We have a variety of styles including tap, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, hip hop, and musical theater.

Young dancers benefit significantly from the competition team. For example, they learn new styles of choreography, take classes from professional dancers at the conventions, and most of all build self-confidence.