Art Department gives back to students

“ART” decor in Ms. Kuntz’s room

Rileigh M. Lonjin, Staff Writer

Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School’s art department is an essential part of most of our students’ lives.  From displaying the art created by students to providing exciting opportunities for students to take part in, the art department tries to be as involved as they can with the kids they are teaching. Ms. Kuntz, a fairly new member of our teaching staff, adds, “This year we have also provided the students an opportunity to travel to Brockway Center of the Arts and Technology and 15 of our students were able to learn a step-by-step process for throwing on the potter’s wheel”.

Both Ms. Kuntz and Mrs. Adams love being involved in the community and displaying students’ artwork. Annually, the art department does winter window painting, creates scarecrows for downtown, create Valentines’ cards, and much more. Students are constantly encouraged to enter up-and-coming art shows, competitions, and attend events that are art related.

Ms. Kuntz is also sure to discuss the various art electives we have in our curriculum. Extremely unique opportunities are given to take classes such as: Ceramics I and II, Art Design, Photoshop, Crafts, and many more!  Students need an outlet where they can express creativity or emotions throughout the day, says Ms. Kuntz. It is important to have electives such as these for kinesthetic, hands-on, learners.

In the end, Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School’s art department is extremely involved with the students. Ms. Kuntz and Mrs. Adams encourage all students to try to take an art class when it becomes available to them. Art and design skills are essential when it comes to expressing and communicating ideas. And to those who dream of majoring in Art in college, Ms. Kuntz adds, “If you have a passion for something, DO NOT listen to any of the negative comments or let anyone put you down about pursuing something you love. Press on, even if it seems like the obstacles are bigger than you.”