Clearfield holds wrestling districts 2019-2020

Clearfield Varsity wrestlers that placed at districts. Front Row: Luke Freeland, Nolan Barr, Derrick Bender, Evan Davis, Karson Kline. Back Row: Mark McGonigal, Matt Bailor, Haden Kavolick, Oliver Billotte, Brett Zattoni.

Emily Hanes, Staff Writer

The Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School held districts for wrestling on February 21-23, 2020. This year there were schools from two different PIAA classes. In AA class, the schools were Brockway, Brookville, Cameron County, Clarion, Coudersport, Curwensville, Johnsonburg, Kane, Oswayo Valley, Port Alleghany, Redbank Valley, Ridgway, and Sheffield.  In the AAA class, the schools were Bradford, Clearfield, Cranberry, DuBois, Punxsutawney, Selinsgrove, Shikellamy, Saint Mary’s, and Williamsport.

Overall, Clearfield had an excellent outcome at districts. Hayden Kavolick and Oliver Billotte moved on with district championships. Evan Davis, Nolan Barr, and Mark McGonigal finished with second place. Luke Freeland came in third place, Derrick Bender finished with fourth place, and Brett Zattoni, Karson Kline, and Matt Bailor all finished with fifth place. The team itself placed third at districts this year with several good matches and wins.

Varsity Wrestler Matt Bailor said: “My goal from the start of the season was to make it to districts. Now that I have accomplished that I am excited to move onto regionals.”

Clearfield wrestlers who placed at districts, had the opportunity to now place at regionals which was held on February 28-29 at Altoona High School. Oliver Billotte and Mark McGonigal made their way to states. Haden Kavalick fell short of one win to make it to states.

Coach Sipes said: “Districts, regionals and states are very special to me because this is the make-or-break part of the season.  Either you win or you go home.  There is a lot riding on the match and for some of the wrestlers this may be the last time that they step in front of a crowd wearing their school logo and colors.  It becomes a very personal and emotional thing for a lot of athletes.”