New Addition to the Bison Sport Complex

New javelin runway

Isaac Samsel, Staff Writer

A new addition has been added on to the beautiful Bison Sports Complex facility for the 2021-2022 Track and Field season. Last year, javelin was thrown on the grass soccer field behind the school, however it will now be thrown on a newly built javelin runway. This addition completes the throwing areas for the Bison as there was already a discus circle and shotput area. Insight from Mr. Gearhart, the Clearfield athletic director, and Mr. Shimko, the varsity throwing coach, was given on this project and on the upcoming track season.

The new runway has some room for a variety of throwers to use. The launch pad is thirteen and a half feet long, and five feet wide, states Mr. Gearhart. He adds that it is 120 feet long in total. For now, it is only an asphalt slab with a temporary rubber runway for now, but will obtain an official track surface the next time the Bison’s track gets repaired.

Along with the new runway, comes the advantages it gives the athletes. Mr. Shimko explained, “Throwing off of grass was tough because it can be difficult to get your footing in the mud.” This should allow the throwers to throw the javelin farther, added Mr. Shimko. It also gives them an edge in practicing for bigger meets like invitationals, districts, and states, as they all have track runways for javelin. Both Mr. Shimko and Mr. Gearhart explained their excitement as this also puts the Bisons’ throwing facilities on par with other teams in the Mountain League.

Runway from the throwers point of view

In his nine years of coaching varsity, Mr. Shimko has had several athletes go to the Pennsylvania Track and Field States. He stated that each year the team is different and different events are better than others, however he has had three javelin throwers become district champions and compete in the state meet. These athletes are recognized as follows, Sara Lash, Grady Yarger, and Isaac Samsel. Mr. Shimko believes this addition will allow his team to be very competitive in all three throwing events this upcoming season.

Mr. Shimko believes Track and Field is a great sport because of the athletic opportunities it presents for the students. His last comments suggest, “If you’ve never competed in track and field, give it a try in the spring. You’d be surprised how much fun it can be.” Mr. Gearhart explains that this is a better opportunity for the throwers to be strong in all three events, and a better chance for newcomers to the sport.