2021-2022 Boys Bison basketball preview

Coach Glunt ready for new basketball season!

Mitchell Rowles, Staff Writer

This year’s varsity basketball team features returning letter winners Ryan Gearhart, Isakk Way, Cole Miller, Andon Greslick, and Luke Pallo under the direction of  head coach Nate Glunt and assistant coaches Donnie Shimmel, Pat Pallo, Erik Brown, Scott Way, Dan Smay and Cody Spaid.

The Clearfield Bison have a good group of players coming out for the team this season. According to Coach Glunt, they have a solid mix of players with experience and talented young players just getting started at the varsity level. He feels very confident in this group of players this year and states, “We have experienced players who have had success and we have younger talented players that will contribute as well.”

Coach Glunt states, “To improve our teams shooting percentage, we have to continue to work hard at shooting in practice and shoot with confidence in the games.”

Coach Glunt believes that the team has very important qualities in that of commitment, being hard working, playing with enthusiasm, doing the right things on and off of the court, and having trust in their fellow teammates and coaches.

When asked how he motivates his players, Coach Glunt states, “I try to motivate my players by being honest with them. I tell them when they are doing something correctly and I help them to improve when they make mistakes.”

His game plan for lowering other teams shooting percentage this year is to make them take contested shots and not give them as many scoring opportunities by playing strong and solid defense.

One focal point in improving this season is to improve on their rebounding on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, along with limiting turnovers. He believes that the teams’ strengths would have to be their skill level and athleticism.

A typical practice for the boys Bison basketball team starts off with warm-ups, moving into skill development, followed by defensive fundamentals, and offensive execution. When Glunt’s team is struggling he tries to give them a few things to concentrate on to help them improve. He states, “If we can get better at a few things, then their confidence can grow and hopefully start to get better at all areas of the game.” The team’s schedule is posted online at the Clearfield website under “Bison Athletics.”

Coach Glunt says the Bison Boys Basketball Team is happy to play in front of the student section and fans again and are very excited for the new season to come.