Mrs. Simpson switches teaching position

Mrs. Simpson, high-school mathematics teacher.

Rylee C. Ogden, Staff Writer

Mrs. Simpson, a mathematics teacher at Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School, made the change from teaching Pre-Algebra and Algebra to teaching Geometry and College Algebra this school year. Mrs. Simpson has been at Clearfield since August of 2009, making this her 12th year at Clearfield Area School District.

She explained that she has for the most part always wanted to be a math teacher, “Not too long ago my mom found a paper in her attic that I completed when I was in kindergarten, and I wrote that I wanted to be a math teacher when I grew up.”

Mrs. Simpson truly loves her job; her motivation is her students and her love for math. She also revealed the underlying reason she chooses this career: “I choose a career in teaching to make a positive impact on future generations.”

She also provided insight into why she went for the College Algebra and Geometry position that was open, “I was ready for a change. I have taught Pre-Algebra and Algebra every year since starting at Clearfield. It is fun to take on a new challenge.”

Her favorite aspect of the job position change is the less amount of stress that comes from the job, making it easier for her to leave work at work, and spend quality time with her family. The least favorite aspect of her job is missing the collaboration and fun times with the junior high math department.

Mrs. Simpson’s overall goal this year is to always be a chapter ahead of what she is currently teaching in class. With a change in position comes a change in curriculum. She explained, “I taught 7th grade Pre-Algebra, 7th-grade Algebra, and 8th-grade Algebra in the previous years. This year I am teaching College Algebra and Geometry. The content does overlap a bit, but College Algebra and Geometry branch off of the foundational pieces I taught at the Junior High level.”

When asked what else she would like our readers she added a humorous note, “I really am older than Mr. Cali.”