Get to Know Ms. Mikesell

Ms.+Mikesell

Ms. Mikesell

Alayna Winters, Staff Writer

Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School has welcomed a new staff member this school year in the face of Ms. Mikesell. Ms. Mikesell teaches both junior high health and ninth grade swimming. She has also picked up positions as the assistant varsity cross country coach and the assistant varsity swim coach. Here, she shares details about herself and her thoughts on being a new teacher and coach.

Q: Have you liked working at Clearfield Area Junior-Senior High School so far? What have you enjoyed the most about working here?

Ms. Mikesell: It’s been really fun! I’ve really enjoyed getting to connect with everyone.

Q. What has been the most challenging part of being a new teacher?

Ms. Mikesell: Adjusting to the daily schedule and getting used to the classroom routines, etc.

Q. Where did you attend high school and college?

Ms. Mikesell: I attended high school here at Clearfield and college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Q. Why did you decide to come back and work here?

Ms. Mikesell: It was an awesome opportunity to be able to come back to the school that helped shape me.

Q. Did you always plan on becoming a teacher in your specific subject?

Ms. Mikesell: I’ve always wanted to be a teacher. I remember in 7th grade we made a thing all about us and what we wanted to do when we grew up, and I originally wanted to be a science teacher. Then I went to school for elementary education and switched my degree my sophomore year to Health and Physical Education.

Q. What do you think about your coaching positions and how are they going?

Ms. Mikesell: I was so excited to be able to help and coach the sports that I played in high school and college. It has been a really fun experience being on the other side of the sports. And I’ve loved getting to work with all the amazing kids on the teams! They make my days better!

Q. Did you always plan on being a coach?

Ms. Mikesell: I wouldn’t say that I always planned on being a coach, it was always in the back of my mind. But I am happy that I have been given the opportunity to! It’s been fun being able to give back to the sports that I got to play in high school!

Q. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

Ms. Mikesell: Lifting, hiking, going for walks, jeep rides & hanging out with friends!

Q. What drives you the most to stay motivated in your job?

Ms. Mikesell: Being the best that I can be for myself and the students!

Q. Did anyone inspire you to pursue this career path?

Ms. Mikesell: I would say there was a couple of people who inspired me to go into teaching. A lot of people in my family are in education, so it seemed to be a pretty easy path to take!

Q. What is some advice you would give to your students?

Ms. Mikesell: Find something you enjoy doing in life, always do YOUR best and have fun!