Meet the Lady Bison Soccer Seniors

Alayna Winters, Staff Writer

The Lady Bison soccer team has had a very successful year. After finishing the regular season, they ended up with a record of 16-2. In the Mountain League, they were undefeated with a record of 14-0. Their great success would be even more challenging without the help of their six fantastic seniors: Elle Smith, Megan Hamm, Cara Turner, McKenna Lanager, Riley Ryen, and Abby Ryan. All six are four-year Varsity starters, and they have played key roles in the building of the program. I took the opportunity to ask each senior a few questions. Here, they share some details about themselves and their soccer careers.

Q: How many years have you played soccer?

Smith: 14 years

Hamm: 12 years

Turner: 14 years

Lanager: 14 years

Ryen: 15 years

Ryan: 13 years

Q: What position do you play?

Smith: Forward or midfield

Hamm: Outside back or right wing

Turner: Center back

Lanager: Midfield

Ryen: Forward

Ryan: Center back

Q: What is your favorite pregame meal?

Smith: A peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Hamm: Subway

Turner: Any type of pasta

Lanager: Subway

Ryen: BLT from Subway

Ryan: Subway

Q: What would you consider to be the highlight of your career?

Smith: I would say that the highlight of my career was winning Districts my sophomore year.

Hamm: Winning Districts was the highlight of my soccer career.

Turner: Winning Districts and progressing to States, or winning the Mountain League three years in a row.

Lanager: Winning the Mountain League three years in a row and having an undefeated season last year.

Ryen: I was ranked fifth in the nation for assists on MaxPreps my junior year.

Ryan: I would consider winning Districts my sophomore year to be the highlight of my career.

Q: If you could go back and change one thing in your soccer career what would it be?

Smith: The outcome of last year’s district final. I would change the score so that we would come out as the district champions instead of Karns City.

Hamm: I would be more confident on the field.

Turner: It would have to be to allow myself to enjoy it instead of constantly being in a competitive mindset.

Lanager: I would be more confident in myself and not be so hard on myself.

Ryen: I would appreciate the time I’ve had with my teammates more.

Ryan: I would work harder in practice, and I would appreciate the time I had with all of my teammates and the memories I made more.

Q: What are your future plans?

Smith: I plan to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to play soccer and earn my undergraduate credits to attend Life University, where I will earn my Doctor of Chiropractic degree.

Hamm: I plan to attend Clarion University to become a nurse practitioner.

Turner: My future plans are to attend college and become a traveling nurse practitioner.

Lanager: I plan on going to college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania or Clarion to become a nurse or teacher.

Ryen: I plan to attend either Pitt, Penn Tech, or Slippery Rock to become a physician’s assistant.

Ryan: My future plans are to attend Penn State University to become a speech pathologist.